We wrote this book to be a hands-on resource for advanced SQL Server DBAs.
This book doesn’t cover installations or how to get started: this is a top-notch, hands-on resource for SQL Server 2008 troubleshooting methods and tools. We give you in-depth coverage of best practices based on our deep understanding of the internals of both SQL Server and the Windows operating system.
You’ll get a thorough look at the SQL Server database architecture and internals as well as Windows OS internals so that you can approach troubleshooting with a solid grasp of the total processing environment. Armed with this comprehensive understanding, readers will then learn how to use a suite of tools for troubleshooting performance problems whether they originate on the database server or operating system side.
- Shows how to develop a methodology for troubleshooting based on a thorough understanding of SQL Server 2008 and Windows OS internals
- Covers mastering specific troubleshooting tools and interpreting their output so that you can quickly identify and resolve any performance issue
- Details all the free and proprietary tools that allow you to analyze and determine the source of a system-wide performance problem
- Examines how it is critical for both SQL Server and Windows technologies to run smoothly in order to ensure effective SQL Server performance
This practical guide will help you pro-actively monitor and avoid SQL Server problems. Buy your copy today!
- SQL Server Architecture
- Understanding Memory
- SQL Server Waits and Extended Events
- Working with Storage
- CPU and Query Processing
- Locking and Latches
- Knowing Tempdb
- Defining Your Approach to Troubleshooting
- Viewing Server Performance with PerfMon and the PAL Tool
- Tracing SQL Server with SQL Trace and Profiler
- Consolidating Data Collection with SQLDiag and the PerfStats Script
- Introducing RML Utilities for Stress Testing and Trace File Analysis
- Bringing It All Together with SQL Nexus
- Using Management Studio Reports and the Performance Dashboard
- Using SQL Server Management Data Warehouse
- Shortcuts to Efficient Data Collection and Quick Analysis