You can download Chapter 1 of Professional SQL Server 2008 Internals and Troubleshooting now for free! Go to Wiley’s web page for the book, and click on Read Excerpt 1.
Chapter 1 covers SQL Server Architecture, and addresses:
- Understanding database transactions and the ACID properties
- Architectural components used to fulfill a read request
- Architectural components used to fulfill an update request
- Database recovery and the transaction log
- Dirty pages, checkpoints, and the lazywriter
- Where the SQLOS fits in and why it’s needed
Go get your free education, and if you like that chapter, you can preorder the book now from Amazon. We’re hearing it might be officially available next Monday!